By Jonathan Albright | Posted: Sunday September 10, 2017
The 2017 NZIHF Reunion Weekend invited the 1987 and 1989 Ice Blacks to Queenstown.
On Saturday 9 September 2017, the NZIHF staged the first ever Reunion Weekend to honour the 1987 and 1989 Ice Blacks - our first and second IIHF World Championship teams.
The event started at 9:15am with a scrimmage, upon where the current Ice Blacks joined the 1987 and 1989 players on the ice for a group photo.
A lunch was hosted at 1pm at SkyCity where the ceremonial caps were presented, along with Life Membership awards to Paul Scott and Stephen Reid. Stories were shared and good laughs had by all. Many thanks to Grant Hay for covering the lunch from his Past President's fund.
The evening concluded with the group attending Game 3 of the Trans Tasman Challenge Series between the current NZ Ice Blacks and Team Australia at the Queenstown Ice Arena.
- 1987 Players attending included: Peter Anderson, John Argyle, Graeme Glass, Norm Hawker, Gerald Phillips, Lionel Ritchie, Mark Symons and Robin Wilson.
- 1989 Players attending included: Peter Anderson, Ray Bates, Graeme Glass, Norm Hawker, Paul Scott, Andy Slade and Mark Symons.
- NZIHF Life Members attending included: Jonathan Albright, Peter Anderson, Günther & Heidi Birgel, Ian Craven, Graeme Glass, Grant & Elizabeth Hay, Ron O'Reilly, Jerome Raateland, Charlie Reid, Stephen Reid, Paul Scott & Lisa Anderson, Daryl & Marita Soper and Robin & Lorraine Wilson.
- All 4 NZIHF Past Presidents (Ian Craven, Ron O'Reilly, Graeme Glass & Grant Hay) and current NZIHF President (Günther Birgel).
- Ice Hockey Australia Vice President, Andy McDowell.
Many thanks to SkyCity and the Queenstown Ice Arena for accomodating us for this memorable event.